Thursday, October 20, 2011

Another completed Pinterest project!!

Several weeks ago, I published a teaser post with some craft supplies.  Pretty soon after, I showed some of the fun dice I made for use in math games.  After that, things got busy and it took a while before I could complete the next project, which was a little more involved.  

One of our sweet friends had a birthday, she turned TWO!  She has four older siblings, so she inherits a lot of fun toys.  I saw this project on Pinterest and knew I wanted to make it for Punky, and thought our friend *S* would enjoy it, too!  The original inspiration for an "on the go" coloring tray came from Joy's Hope.  Then, I decided that by leaving the paper off the top of the tray, it would be a great magnet board for use with these magnetic quilting pieces.  

I set off in search of supplies to make my own.  I made two sets of magnets, and that worked well.  Punky enjoys playing with hers, and every once in a while I have to add more mod podge to re-glue the material onto the magnets.  I started with rectangular baking sheets for the tray, and attempted to spray paint them a nice almond color.  However, I could only find non-stick trays, which evidently don't hold spray paint.  I didn't want to give a toddler gift with a "don't eat the paint chips" disclaimer, so I opted for an unfinished tray.  The pizza pan/disc just looked fun.  :)  

The quilt pieces on the pizza pan.

I also added an icing container with magnets on the bottom, 
which holds triangular crayons—ideal for toddlers, plus they don't roll!)

The complete gift...hopefully will provide plenty of peaceful entertainment!

No comments: