Teacher Appreciation Week?! What's that?


This week is Teacher Appreciation Week for many schools/districts across the country.  When Sunshine was in public school in Midland, I was in charge of organizing special activities in her school for teacher appreciation.  I worked my tail off to make sure those teachers knew how much they were (and are) appreciated.  It was my honor to do so.

Just a few minutes ago I read some horrible things posted by public school teachers, suggesting that home school teachers don't deserve the same teacher appreciation "perks" they receive.  I'm disgusted by what I read.

Yeah, I *only* have two students.  And each of them have at least six subjects per day on their calendar.  And they're in different grade levels.  And I have a preschooler who is home 3 school days a week.  Plus, I organize their daily schedules (and you know how busy we are), keep a house running with a traveling husband, volunteer in the community, and very rarely say no to someone asking for help.

I'm not asking for kudos or accolades from my Facebook friends.  I just want to share a little piece of my mind so if you ever wondered if my job was easier than when I taught public school, I can tell you no.  And, I'll revisit this old blog post with you just to reinforce my point.

If you know a home schooler, please don't just say things like, "Oh, I could never do that.  My kids would drive me crazy."  Maybe mine do.  Okay, they do.  But I really try not to focus on the negatives in our lives.  There's enough negativity in this world without me adding more.  If you meet a home schooler this week, say the same thing you would say to a public school teacher, a private school teacher, a preschool teacher, a Sunday school teacher.  Say, "Thank you for making a difference in our community."

Bottom line: That's my goal, too.

My class in our kitchen/classroom/library.

Comments