Mommy's Little Baker

At lunch time I went to the pantry to get the bread.  There was one slice left.  Oops!  I didn't buy any at the store because I wanted to try a new recipe, but I thought I had enough left to last through this afternoon.  I guess my girlies decided on toast for breakfast.  Time to get baking!

This afternoon, Punky watched me gather the ingredients for baking, and immediately asked if she could help in the kitchen.  I love to give her small tasks while I'm cooking, but I wanted to focus on this new recipe so I could make sure each step was followed...to the letter.  You know, with bread baking you can never be too careful.

She was intrigued as I opened a new bag of flour and poured it into our storage container.  She was especially intrigued that I called this stuff flour.  I asked if she wanted a bowl to mix up while I mixed my big bowl.  Did I even have to ask?!  Of course she did!  I gave her a small bowl with about 1/3 cup flour and she got to mixing.  A couple minutes later I looked over and she was spooning her flour into an old Nutella container she keeps in her play kitchen.  Of course she did!  Then she asked for water.  We were really getting started!  She stirred while singing her silly, made up songs.  Then it got quiet, and I saw her watching me measure the yeast for my recipe.  "What's that stuff?"  "It's called yeast.  It makes holes in the bread.  Do you need some?"  Did I even have to ask?!  Of course she did!  I added a small amount of yeast to her mixture, hoping she would see it bubble and grow excited.

So, we had a Nutella container of flour, water and yeast, and a bowl with a bit more flour.  Which she ate.  With her spoon.  Ack!

Comments

Unknown said…
Cutie!

Sam was helping me with a coffee cake the other day. I asked him to measure some cinnamon into the topping mixture. After he put the correct amount in the bowl, he stuck the spoon back in the cinnamon and swallowed a good 1/2 tsp! The look on his face was priceless. Thankfully, he was able to get some water pretty quickly and everything was ok. :)

--Sherry
Moma said…
Oh, no! Cinnamon is such a trickster spice...smells so good, tastes great in a mixture, but not a stand alone. I remember learning that hard lesson as a kid, too! :)