reflecting on captured memories

This song came on today while I was driving home from dropping kids off at activities. In January 2012, I wrote a post about what this song means to me. As soon as I got home I came to my computer to read the post. Immediately I felt a wave of emotion, but it wasn't the same wave I felt 3+ years ago.

Yes, I still believe it happens in a blink. Yes, I still want to hold on tight. Yes, I'm trying to make the most of each moment.

And...

Yes, the calendar is still full (possibly more now than ever before). Yes, my kids are still growing up too fast for my liking (but I am singing praises for healthy kids). Yes, I still look forward to the rare, empty square on the calendar.

But...

I have learned what contentment is, because in contentment I find joy.


There are still things I want to do with my life. I have quite a long list including travels, books to read, classes to take, things I want to learn about, and memories I want to make with my family. All of these things are important to me and as I work toward completing an item on the list, I am also constantly adding more.

I have learned that there is nothing I can do to stop time, but I can continue making wonderful memories with my family & friends. I can continue teaching my kids not only from books but from life's lessons.

Contentment doesn't mean we're settling. It doesn't mean that we are capable of more but we can't get there. It doesn't mean that our lives are lacking. For us, it means that we don't take for granted the countless blessings in our lives.

Now, when I blink, I keep my eyes closed a bit longer and find a captured memory* of my pudgy fingered babies, my curious toddlers, my young scientists, my little explorers, my daydreamers. We still have so much living to do. I still get to see them grow into women who, without a doubt, will make a difference in this world. Maybe they'll be world leaders, maybe they'll lead a family or a business, maybe they'll be activists for change. Maybe I'm raising a doctor or an NPO board president. I'm a daydreamer, too, and each day we're closer to seeing our daydreams come true.

*A special thanks to my moma, who taught me to pause in the midst of life's happenings and capture memories, tucking them close to my heart.

Comments