I'm the PROUD mother of a teenager.

I'm supposed to be scared of the teenage years, but I'm not.  Sunshine is an amazing young person, and I'm excited to see how her life unfolds.

Today, I made my daughter cry.  I gave her a letter:


My sweet Sunshine,

My beautiful daughter.  Last night I hugged a little girl, today you’re a teenager.  A young woman.

 There aren’t enough words to explain how much it means to me to be your mom.  Sometimes, when I look back on that time period in our lives, I’m in awe of how everything worked out.  I’m so thankful for the unexpected gift of you. 

You truly are a gift.  Being the mom of a strong, compassionate, resilient, sensitive, thoughtful young lady is one of the greatest gifts I’ve ever known.  You are an amazing person with dreams and goals, and it is my priviledge to help you realize them.

 I also have dreams for you, hopes for your future.  It is my hope that you will wake up each day knowing how very loved you are.  It is my hope that you will set goals that seem out of reach, and then reach them.  It is my hope that you will know that there is nothing in this world that you cannot do.

 Being the oldest of three spirited girls is a big job.  You are a wonderful big sister.  Belle and Punky admire you so much, and we are thankful that they have such a sweet sister to guide them, encourage them, and make them feel important.

 When you were four years old, I told you you could do anything you wanted to do and nobody could stop you.  That day at rest time you insisted on sleeping in a sequin dressup skirt.  When I told you that you needed to change you said, “But you told me I can do anything I want to do!”  You, my sweet girl, were absolutely right.

 It is my hope that if anybody ever stands in the way of your dreams you have the courage and strength to say to them, “My mom told me I can do anything I want to do!” ...and then do it.

 I love you, Sunshine.  I am so thankful that you are my daughter.  Forever. 

Love, Moma

Sunshine (birth-age 2), click to enlarge

Comments