Rockin' Pepper Prints!

We love any excuse to celebrate, because our celebrations include some learning and lots of fun.  Isn't that the way it should be?  If you're Irish (which I happen to be) then you may celebrate St. Paddy's Day, too. For me, more than anything, this day is an opportunity to learn more about my ancestral heritage, and a chance to pass some of that knowledge on to my kiddos.  This week is full of activities that will help us learn more about Ireland, the story of St. Patrick, and just have fun creating.

According to our studies, it is believed everything good in Ireland comes in threes:
Crone, Mother & Virgin
Love, Valour & Wit
Faith, Hope & Charity
Father, Son & Holy Spirit

We always hear that 4-leaf clovers are lucky, but the true shamrock of Ireland has 3 leaves.  So, head over to your produce section at the grocer and pick up a bell pepper with 3 humps around.  Cut it in half, and you have a shamrock stamp!

I suggested using green paint on black for some fun contrast.  Punky said, "I need poi-ple paint!" (translation: purple, of course!)

In addition to our shamrockin' pepper, I picked up one with several humps to show my kids the difference (I wanted them to try and guess the shape that would be printed before we actually started stamping) and also provide them a different shape so they could do some patterning, if they chose.  I'm trying to decide if we should turn these into a multi-step project, or if we should just leave them as is and enjoy the bright colors.




Comments