"We go together like..."



My kids sometimes ask who my best friend is.  Their daddy is my best friend.  They know that, and they giggle when I say it again, but I think they just like to hear it.

For many years I was a quiet person.  I didn't exude confidence or have an outgoing personality.  Motherhood changed that about me.  I learned early on that I needed to make myself more approachable because it would benefit my daughter.  Motherhood helped me overcome that shyness.  In fact, many of my friends would laugh if I told them I was quiet in my pre-mom life.

We've moved a lot over the past 10 years, and I've been fortunate to make new friends in each location.  When we move I'm so sad to leave my friends behind.  Initially, it feels like I'm all alone and I won't ever meet another person that I can connect with.  Sometimes it is very difficult.  These periods of time bring me closer to my husband and my family.  Eventually, we make friends and move on, but I never forget how much my "old" friendships mean to me.

Over the past few months I've really missed my "old" friends.  For a few years, each winter we would all attend a church retreat.  It was always an amazing weekend.  We left there feeling closer and refreshed.  We haven't had the retreat for a couple of years and I guess I'm really starting to miss it...to miss my friends.  To miss feeling grounded, ready to take on the world.  I need that refreshing weekend again.



Comments