Pipe Cleaner Play

Our sweet Punky loves sensory play. I pulled out some old notebooks to find lists of sensory activities I've used in the past. This was one that I hadn't done in a long while. Pipe cleaners! In the past when I've used pipe cleaners for sensory play, we used small sections of peg board for the kids to push the pipe cleaners through. I don't have peg board at my house, but I have colanders in the kitchen. What fun!!

This was after Punky missed a nap, so she lost interest quickly. However, as you can see in the pics, her siblings and kitties enjoyed the new toy, too!

Sensory play that develops fine motor muscles at the same time!
Click to view larger photos.

Comments

This is a great activity! I think some kids enjoy it and others don't! My daughter loves playing with our metal vegetable steamer and always has! Again, simple household tools and containers make the best play because they are something they see you using! My daughter had fun playing with zip ties one day and her expensive X-mas toy sits on her shelf! Oh well!
Moma said…
The pipe cleaners are still in her sensory box, mainly because her big sisters LOVE to play with them. I figure you're never too old for it. They make her "hats" and she walks around with them on her head, talking in her robot voice. They also make other objects out of the pipe cleaners. So funny! I will probably put them away and replace them with something else for a while, so they'll be fun & new again in a month or two. :)