House Rules

We have always had rules in our home, sometimes we're lacking in enforcement. And there seem to be so many that we have a hard time remembering exactly what they are. So after discussion with some friends, I have decided that all of our house rules can be covered with this one simple statement.

Show respect.

The behaviors I expect of my children all fall under this small umbrella.

Q: Can I hit my sister?
A: Be kind and respect her. Do you want her to hurt you?

Q: If I don't want to clean my room now, can I wait until later?
A: If I told you to clean your bedroom then you respect me by doing it!

Q: What happens if I don't get my way and I start throwing a tantrum?
A: I told you that you cannot have/do ____ right now. Period. Respect me and accept that.

When my kids show me respect, I'm more willing to respect them and give them a little more freedom.

Yeah, I know its all easier said than done. But I'm committed to it. Its part of taking back control and feeling like I know what is going on around here! Wish me luck!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's so true! I've said for years that respect is the cornerstone of EVERY relationship. Without respect, you have nothing.