Reflections after church

Tomorrow we leave on vacation!!! We decided to go to church this evening so we can get up and leave first thing. So I'm going to write about church again. (Yes, I know this is dated "Sunday" but I haven't been to bed yet.)

The Gospel today was from Matthew (14:13-21)...the miracle of Jesus turning the 5 loaves and 2 fish into enough to feed the masses. Appropriately, it was followed by one of my favorite hymns..."Come to the Water."

1. O let all who thirst,
let them come to the water.
And let all who have nothing,
let them come to the Lord:
without money, without price.
Why should you pay the price,
except for the Lord?
2. And let all who seek,
let them come to the water.
And let all who have nothing,
let them come to the Lord:
without money, without strife.
Why should you spend your life,
except for the Lord?
3. And let all who toil,
let them come to the water.
And let all who are weary,
let them come to the Lord:
all who labor, without rest.
How can your soul find rest,
except for the Lord?
4. And let all the poor,
let them come to the water,
Bring the ones who are laden,
bring them all to the Lord:
bring the children without might.
Easy the load and light:
come to the Lord.

Text: Based on Isaiah 55:1-2; Matthew 11:28-30. Text and music © 1978, John B. Foley, S.J., and OCP. All rights reserved.


Are you ready for my point? I know the readings and Gospel are set and the priests don't "pick and choose" what they will preach on each week. And I know the Bible is an ancient text. Yes, you know this, too. So why does it matter this week? Because this story from Matthew is so relevant to us right now. No, it does not mean that Jesus is going to sail up on his boat and turn the bread and wine into a four course meal. What I mean is that right now, when people are having a hard time feeding their families and paying their bills, the Lord always seems to provide.

I have seen, heard and read about so many people who put their trust in God, and their prayers are answered. And today when I listened to Deacon Ron and Fr. Antony, I truly enjoyed seeing that connection. It wasn't a stretch, it wasn't difficult to believe or understand, it wasn't something "left up to interpretation," it was just right there.

And, frankly, it was a good reminder...to pray...and to trust. Have FAITH!

Then we sang two more of my FAVORITE hymns...One Bread, One Body and Sanctuary. All in all, it was a meaningful hour. And as my f-a-v-o-r-i-t-e nephew would say, "Good job singin' church!"

My faves on YouTube:
One Bread, One Body
Sanctuary
Come to the Water

Comments