back again

I'm embarrassed.  I haven't posted since our Washington DC trip.  I have thought about abandoning this blog, but I'm pretty far in (even though I don't post as often as I should).  I guess I'll work to post some highlights and then I can enlist the help of my students. :)

Our school year ends next week.  We will have completed our 6th year of homeschooling.  It's unbelievable how fast time has flown.  When this school year ends, I will be planning for kindergarten, sixth grade, and tenth grade.

Homeschooling is exhausting...at least our style of homeschooling.  Never do I miss an opportunity to turn something into a lesson.  If we're watching a movie see something discussion worthy, we talk about it.  If we're taking a neighborhood walk and find a seed pod lying on the ground, we examine it.  If we're driving down the road, the trip becomes a drivers education lesson—yeah, I can't believe we're there, either!

Every moment is teachable in our family, even our downtime.  I love this lifestyle, but it does exhaust me.  When we find out about an activity within our homeschooling community, if the time matches with a blank space on the calendar, we fill it.  I don't want my kids to miss an opportunity for learning, and opportunity for growing, an opportunity to work toward their goals.

This is the life we have chosen for our family.  I'm pretty sure I've said that on this blog before. It doesn't mean it's the easiest life, it means it's the one Daddio and I feel like is the best for our awesome kiddos. We are so blessed to be surrounded by a homeschooling community that enriches our lives. When people tell me they're thinking about homeschooling their kids but they're scared, the first thing I say is to find an encouraging, supportive homeschool group.  Not all groups are the same and not every homeschooler is the same.  It may take a while to find a group that fits your family's needs.  But I would say that, second to the support of my awesome hubby, having friends who understand our lifestyle has been the most critical in keeping my head above water.

I hope you enjoy the barrage of "catching up" posts in the next few weeks.  You know me...who knows how long it'll last! ;)


Comments