An answer for the lonely mom

Yesterday, I shared a post on Facebook about one of the biggest challenges moms face: loneliness.  I can't even begin to describe the feels I had when I read it.  In the 12 years I've been a stay-at-home/homeschooling mom, I have definitely felt the lonely.  In the midst of the chaos that is my life, I have felt the lonely.  When I've gone 7+ days without true, intimate (meaning more than small talk) adult interaction, I've felt the lonely.  Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint what you're feeling; and then on Sunday morning you walk into church and someone gives you a hug.  You feel overwhelmed and can't figure out why a simple gesture of compassion has turned you upside down, and it hits you: the lonely.
I thought it was funny that most recently, I first noticed myself feeling very alone during the holidays.  My hubby is usually working and although we are crazy busy like everyone else, I feel alone.  My hubby always steps up his phone calls, texts, FB message, etc. when he can tell that I'm feeling isolated.  I know he is here for me emotionally always, even if not physically.  The lonely still finds me.  Even with my 3 kids, who are incredibly loving, compassionate, and affectionate.  The lonely still finds me.

I'm not writing this as a cry for help, I promise!  I'm writing this so I can share about a group that has been a true gift to me.  Being married to a pilot led to a lot of moving around for the first half of our marriage (we've lived in this place for 7 years...a record!).  Each time we moved, I was able to find a niche through my children's activities.  I also sought out a group for moms and made great friends.  I did the same thing when we moved here in 2007.  I did a quick google search for moms' groups in my area and found MOMS Club.  I emailed the contact on their website and decided to take Belle to one of their activities (Sunshine was in school).  It was slightly awkward being the new girl, but something I'd grown accustomed to since becoming a pilot's wife.  Fast forward...

Tonight I am attending my 7th MOMS Club annual banquet.  I will be in a room with some moms that I've only known a month or two, and others that I met at my very first event 7 years ago.  My MOMS Club friends have laughed with me, cried with me, counted minutes between contractions with me, talked me through difficult parenting moments, hugged me when I've been down, encouraged me when our family was struggling through a layoff, brought our family meals when I was ill or recovering from family expansion, celebrated life's ups, and helped me through the lonely times.


Comments